Saturday, October 4, 2008

Chile

Well my first day in Santiago and after the night flight and no sleep, I´m feeling almost like I´ve been dragged kicking and screaming here. But had a long snooze and later that morning I go to breakfast and meet up with an Australian from Carlton that I first met almost 2 months ago in Colca Canyon when I first arrived in Peru! That was a good start to the rest of the day.

I then head downtown for a look around and come across this young woman who was offering free hugs! Thought I could do with one of those - get plenty of hugs from other travellers when we part even tho I may have only known them a day or two, but it is a long time since I had a hug at the beginning of a meeting!

Chile is like that - really vibrant- rather chic and cool, and just like Melbourne - they´re all in black!



I´m now in Valparaiso which is about an hour or so from Santiago and the feelings for Chile are now almost in a complete about face. It´s a very pretty town beside the ocean with meandering cobblestone streets in the old quarters up in the surrounding hills where I stay. Lots of artesans out and about on this sunny Sunday and I´m getting some good ideas for knitting patterns - big needles, thick wool, lots of holes - thought it might be a nice job maybe when I get back.

Took a ride in a fishing boat around the harbour for a couple of dollars and we passed right by these sea lions bobbing away on a buoy in the sunshine.

Will try and tour some of the local wineries while I´m here, a great sacrifice but thought Deb and Al might just disown me if I got so close ...



Finally starting to feel a little better in my stomach a full week after I left Guayaquil

No comments: