Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Spent the last few days up the Amazon River - wet wet wet but fantastic, and although the Bolivian pampas was better for wildlife spotting, what gorgeous jungle flowers and plants there were in the rainforest and river islands around the lodge where I stayed.

Bird of paradise







Walking Palm tree


Heliconia


I also saw my first breadfruit trees at the local Rio Amazon sugar cane whiskey distillery - brought to the Amazon from Polynesia - now I know just what to expect in Tahiti! The leaves of the breadfruit tree dangle in front of this wondrous sight of mother, baby and the hitchhiker!




Giant lily pads, Isla Yanamono, Rio Amazonas




Sunset through the plantation, Isla Yanamono, Rio Amazonas

This time I was with 4 Dutch people - not as much fun as the Irish that´s for sure. At least they weren´t couples (1 woman), and in an amazing coincidence, they live in a village only 5kms from Aarle Rixtel where I lived with Caroline and her family all those years ago!

And now I´m just killing time in Piura in north west of Peru waiting for my overnight bus to Ecuador! Saw some great gold burial items that are locked up in the vault in a museum here, and there´s a vego restaurant on the plaza, so the waiting is not so bad!

2 comments:

anushka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anushka said...

i thaught india is our india..but your blg is good.if you link me i will link you..thank you.