Friday, May 23, 2008

The road trip is on..

Spent a wonderful day and night in the desert at Wadi Rum. The camera needed recharging but found the generator after dark, just in time to capture some of the frolicking at midnight at the oasis. Camels were by now, in bed!

Susan and Sheik Harb

Next day we headed off to the Dead Sea where I was covered in stinging mud, but ended up looking very much the same. Back to our favourite hotel and favourite concierge Osama, who told us about yet another great eating spot, Cafe@Books, in the university quarter. A funky place and a nice way to end our week in Jordan


And finally in New York. Great welcome from Donna and Daile after a long wait in immigration. This is the view of Manhattan from Donna's Brooklyn Terrace. Took Liz Cham and Nicholas' advice and just walked and looked and walked. And after a few days I was off to Miami for the road trip to Corpus Christi.

Right now I'm surrounded by Southern accents. I'm still in Florida - The lady in my GPS finally realised I might just obey her instructions if we went my way! and I realised it meant I could unclench my hands from the steering wheel and I would get to where I want to go! Crossed the Everglades day before yesterday and then travelled up the west coast (Burke's advice) over water via some fantastic bridges. Yesterday I arrived in Apalachicola.
Went across to St George's Island via this bridge. The view of the lighthouse is taken from the water's edge. Later I saw a postcard which read that you could only reach it by water. No need to even think what that's about!

No comments: