Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Back in Kolkata

Everyday the toll from Nagris rises. This morning, it is reported that it may well rise to 100,000. Just heard from Mai that Siam left Myanmar and arrived back in Bangkok last night, so that is a small piece of good news.

It's so heartening to have heard from a few of you that you would like to go and assist in Myanmar. Impractical as that is proving to be, I hope you will think about going in the future.

As Andrea said, sleepingonherturntable no doubt, now I've kissed the (filthy) soil of India again... (her words), I'm back in my love/hate state. It's Rabindranath Tagore's birthday today. What a lovely time to be here with plays, poetry and book readings happening all over this most literary of Indian cities.

Made it to the Kali temple at Kalighat yesterday and am now a bit more settled with everything being just as it should be

...the temple priests demanded rupees and more rupees, showing me the foreigner donation booklets with very large traveller donations (in different handwriting to signatures!) to convince me I should at least match it. Needless to say, although trapped into a largish donation, it was at least affordable. A good thing it was too that the goat sacrifices are in the morning and I was there for late afternoon...


......the person on the bus who I initially admired for sitting in chin mudra in amongst the bus crowd, was I soon discovered, merely picking his nose and flicking it in a very creatively spiritual way!

.. and the men I keep thinking are very 'holy' who walk towards me clapping to 'ward off' my foreign presence, are really just flattening their chewing tobacco as they walk!

Aaaahhh India! Jordan here I come!

No comments: