Sunday, April 13, 2008

Goats in Kyd Street of course!

The Kyd Street goat herd taking a breather, central Kolkata, 40C

And now I’m back in Kolkata again. The temperature was 40.8C at 9.30 yesterday morning; the humidity was at 98%, and I had to spend all of yesterday going from one place to the next – airlines re dodgy tickets, money changers (USD for Myanmar), GPO for my post, trying to recharge my phone (impossible to do here in Kolkata it would seem when your account is from another state even tho the carrier is national, so please SMS me only for the next month, that’s apparently free) and on my day went ...
..until I finally made it to the Aurobindo ashram in the evening for ‘discourse’ on yogananda and kriya yoga, which of course wasn’t quite that, but rather a session to invite us into the discipleship of Mataji’s favourite AASTA presenter Swami Kriyananda, longtime Yogananda disciple and musical composer extraordinaire! Still it was lovely to be participating in a spiritual evening which started with lots of kirtan – always such a pleasure! Made me think very fondly of Helen's beautiful lead singing and harmonium playing.

The reason for all the frantic activity yesterday is that Kolkata shuts down on Sunday. I'm still not sure why, but as I was outside it at 10.15am this moning I decided to go in to the service at the Wesleyan Church just in time for the sermon and lots of hymn singing - must have been kirtan last night. I've thoroughly enjoyed myself these last two days.

Now for Myanmar!

No comments: