Monday, April 7, 2008

Bhutan..almost

Well it finally caught up with me, the Delhi Belly, but although I felt ill when I woke Sunday, it wasn't till mid-afternoon when we were on route to Bhutan that all effects hit. Lucky I was travelling with Laura from ITTM in Kalimpong (info about this centre for traditional Tibetan medicine is at www.ittm.org) and she dealt with hotel check in etc., etc.

Unfortunately we discovered when we got here that there is no longer the opportunity to cross the border into Bhutan for one day without a visa.






So here we are in this Indian border town, surrounded by men and women in traditional Bhutanese dress who are crossing freely through the beautiful gateway which is only 50 metres from our hotel.







And what do we do? Have a facial of course, with the delightful Carla of Roses' Beauty Parlour!

We'll head back to Kalimpong tomorrow early morning, and then further east to Lava for some trekking. Then I'm back to Kolkata Friday morning on a 24-hour journey, before leaving for Myanmar on Monday. Oh settle my queasy tummy!

No comments: